The following IETF working groups are applicable to the Internet of Things:
- IETF 6TiSCH standardizes how to run an IPv6-based upper protocol stack over the TSCH mode of IEEE802.15.4e.
- IETF 6LoWPAN and IETF 6lo standardize the mechanisms for an IPv6 packet to travel over networks of devices communicating using different link-layer technologies, including IEEE802.15.4 radios.
- IETF ROLL standardizes the RPL routing protocol, which finds the multi-hop path connecting the nodes in the network with a small number of destination nodes.
- IETF CORE standardizes the CoAP application protocol, which enables HTTP-like interactions with small embedded devices.
- IETF DICE standardizes mechanisms to adapt DTLS to constrained environments.IETF 6TiSCH standardizes how to run an IPv6-based upper protocol stack over the TSCH mode of IEEE802.15.4e.